Wednesday, June 8, 2011

New Loves

Sometimes I make discoveries that I'm glad I no longer have to live without. It's these discoveries that make everyday life just a little more pleasing. These are very simple discoveries and that's what I love about them. The first is avocado ice cream. The original recipe came from Mary Jane's Farm, but like with everything, I tinkered and experimented with it until I was completely satisfied. So, here is the recipe for those of you that would like a small adventure.
Avocado Ice Cream
1 ripe avocado
the juice of two lemons
1 cup of half and half (try to find a natural brand that doesn't have anything added to it)
2/3 cup of pure honey ---this was a bit sweet so next time I will start with 1/3 cup and then add until it's sweet enough
1t-1T of poppy seeds
put everything in the blender and mix well. Pour into a small container and freeze.
that's it! I like to top it with fresh mango. Veggies for dessert--you can't beat that! The kids love it. A banana in place of the avocado would probably also work if you want to switch it up---they have a similar consistency. Happy experimenting!


The second is homemade hand soap. I like to make everything I can so that I know exactly what's in it. And I like simple, simple, simple recipes! And this one is.



Handmade Soap recipe



reuse old foaming bottles or buy a few



fill 3/4 with water--always add water first



2-3 T of pure liquid castile soap



and you're done! you can buy liquid castile soap at health food stores or even some higher end grocery stores. The most common brand is Dr. Bronner's. So simple, quick, natural, and cheap!
this also can be used as a face wash, body wash, for dishes, etc.


LOVE it!!







Pin It

3 comments:

Teddy said...

I am sooooo excited to make the soap! Thanks for the recipe!

The Great Lakes of NY said...

just bought ingredients for BOTH, tonight! Can't wait to try them!!

The Great Lakes of NY said...

You're the best. Seriously. Can't wait to try the deodorant. I have all of the ingredients this time! Honestly, I feel like I've found this great treasure, finding you!! Thanks for all of the great things you've taught me in such a short time. You can be sure that a certain 14 year old girl is being taught the same things.